We beginning to develop quite an understanding of the issues surrounding hacking. In this unit we have:-
- We have developed our understanding of data and can make the distinction personal and confidential data.
- We've looked again at some of the legal framework that provides protection for our data including exemptions and who to complain to if your data is unfairly treated.
- We've also had introduction to ethics and some of the ethical questions surrounding the collection, storage and sharing of confidential information.
- What constitutes a security breach has been examined together with some of the methods used to breach security.
- The size of well known security breaches as measured by the number of records stolen or accessed has been looked at alongside the sectors most vulnerable to hacking.
- The unfortunate consequences these breaches have on individuals and business were looked at.
- With the consequence of security breaches in mind, some of the steps that could be taken through software, hardware and safe working practices were examined.
- Finally we looked at how to plan a an effective defence in order to prevent a breach and applied this knowledge to three common scenarios.